Alma 7:10-12

And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, she being a virgin, a precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and bring forth a son, yea, even the Son of God.

And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Tell Me the Stories of Jesus

Gospel Art Book Image

In May of 2010, Elder Neil L. Andersen gave a talk that I've been contemplating ever since!


"The stories of Jesus can be like a rushing wind across the embers of faith in the hearts of our children. Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life." The stories of Jesus shared over and over bring faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and strength to the foundation of testimony. Can you think of a more valuable gift for our children?"

He then goes on to ask about 20 different questions. As I tried to answer them honestly and thoughtfully, I realized I have a lot of work to do with my children. This Christmas, 2010... we will have short family devotionals based on the questions he asks.

I will fold some paper plates in half and decorate very simply. I will put the question Elder Andersen asks for the devotional in the paper plate and staple around the edges, I might even include a small picture or materials for the devotional. Each night I'll hide the plate under the pillow of one of my children to answer Elder Andersen's first question, "Are the life and teachings of Jesus Christ embedded in the minds and souls of our children?"

Yes. And maybe even their dreams too!

** Update: When I introduced what we were doing for the month of December to my girls, they decided to call it "Hot Cocoa Chats". So I'm adding a couple small Ziploc bags of marshmallows (to be used at devotional, pardon- "Hot Cocoa Chat") in the plates too. Who am I to deny genius?**

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Wow, these are amazing! I am so excited to do these with my boys! Thank you for putting this together!

Kristy said...

Sofia, I printed these off to teach my daughter. I love this talk by Elder Andersen too, and am so grateful to have found this, a way to teach my child about our Savior. I'm going to do it for FHE for the next few months. I think you are amazing and talented and incredibly creative. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us!

Anora said...

Well...

Beautiful blog..
Its really a nice story of Jesus.. It is very good to share that type of informative stories with your kids, girls and boys .

Christmas Treasure Hunt