Alma 7:10-12

And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, she being a virgin, a precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and bring forth a son, yea, even the Son of God.

And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.

And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities.

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Looking to the Example of the Savior in Our Own Lives


Image from Mormon.org

I hope this isn't blasphemous to take what he has asked and change the pronouns. If it is, then kindly ignore the words in parenthesis and you can write me a scathing comment. I possibly deserve it.

1
Elder Andersen asks, "Do they (we) think about the Savior's life when they (we) wonder what to do in their (our) own lives?"

Start with opening prayer always! How do we expect the spirit to teach us if we don't invite him there!

Make a simple spinner. You can even get them at the dollar store or make a temporary one from one of your board games. Divide your spinner into categories to spin on, "Home, School, Out and About, Church". Have different scenarios for the children to think about what they would do and any examples from the Savior's life on how He taught us to act. Have a piece of paper you can add hearts to as you answer questions. See how many hearts you can get as a family.

For example, scenarios to read when they spin on that category:
Home
1. It's Family Home Evening and the lesson is horribly boring. My sister is bothering me and I really feel like kicking her, after all, she is poking me! What should I do? When people hurt Christ what did He do or say?
2. Mom asked me to clean up the toy room. It's crazy in there and I think a mouse may even be living under a stack of old magazines. What should I do? How did Jesus help His mother?
3. Dad was getting me ready for bed. He told me to hop in and tucked me in snug. I am so tired, but I realize we forgot to say prayer. What should I do? When did Jesus pray?
School
1. My teacher is wonderful. She is kind and thoughtful, she is really just super! What can I do to show her how much I love her? What did Jesus do to show me love?
2. Tom is such a bully. He is always bossing around other kids and even gets violent sometimes. Ugh. He drives me nuts! What could I do to help Tom be nice? How did Jesus teach by example?
3. A friend of mine forgot to do their homework. They usually do it, but this one time it just slipped their mind. They really want to copy. What should I do? How was the Savior honest?
Out and About
1. I am in a movie theater watching an excellent movie. Except, a small part of the movie isn't excellent. They keep on taking the Lord's name in vain. It's rated PG but I feel uncomfortable. What should I do? What did the Savior do when he was tempted?
2. Suzie is having a slumber party and they are going to be painting toe nails. They'll be playing games until midnight and even decorating their own cakes! It sounds really fun but Suzie listens to music that isn't appropriate. She even said they'll have a dance competition to those songs. What should I do? Was there music in the Savior's life? (Matt. 26:30, Luke 2:13)
3. Walking home from school one day, I notice the street is filled with trash. I even see some birds picking at an old napkin. Poor mother earth. What should I do? Jesus helped organize the earth, how did He show love for that which He organized?
Church
1. Everyone is being really noisy in Primary. I can't even hear what is being said. What should I do? How did Jesus show reverence?
2. Sunday morning breakfast is over. I want to make today special and keep the Sabbath day holy. What should I do? How did our Savior keep the Sabbath holy?
3. Fast and testimony meeting has arrived. We had a family home evening about bearing our testimony but I feel very nervous. What should I do? How did Jesus tell others about truth?

Wow! What great teamwork as a family! Bear testimony and end with I Feel My Savior's Love (Children's Songbook pg.74)

No comments: